What is Chemical Dependency?
Characteristics of someone with a Chemical Dependence:
- Have you ever decided to stop drinking and/or using for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?
- Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking and/or using and stop telling you what to do?
- Have you ever switched from one kind of drink or drug to another in the hope that this would keep you from losing control?
- Have you had to have an "eye-opener" upon awakening during the past year? Do you need a drink or drug to get started, or stop shaking?
- Do you envy people who can drink or use drugs without getting into trouble?
- Have you had problems connected with drinking or using during the past year?
- Has your drinking or using caused trouble at home?
- Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks or drugs at a party because you did not get enough?
- Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking or using any time you want to, even though you keep getting inebriated when you don't mean to?
- Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking or using?
- Do you have blackouts?
- Have you ever felt that life would be better if you did not drink or use?
Did you check two or more? If so, you are probably in trouble with alcohol or drugs.